Converting .BIN files to .CHD
MaddMaxx2000
2004-04-06 15:47:04 UTC
What's the correct method to covert CD images (.BIN) files to .CHD files
using CHDMAN.

Several CD images for 81u3 were posted in a.b.e.m. and I'm not clear
on how to covert these.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

MaddMaxx2000
SINNER
2004-04-06 16:22:04 UTC
While strolling through alt.games.mame, MaddMaxx2000 was overheard
Post by MaddMaxx2000
What's the correct method to covert CD images (.BIN) files to .CHD
files using CHDMAN.
Several CD images for 81u3 were posted in a.b.e.m. and I'm not
clear on how to covert these.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thx
MaddMaxx2000
Try opening the file with Isobuster and extracting it. I dont know that
there is any way to 'convert' them.
David
Loonybin
2004-04-06 16:44:32 UTC
SINNER leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before typing in
Post by SINNER
Try opening the file with Isobuster and extracting it. I dont know
that there is any way to 'convert' them.
Is that something we need to do at present then anyway? I'm guessing
(and it's a big guess) that CD image support will be added when the
time comes into CHDMAN to do this..?
--
Loonybin

http://www.tombstones.org.uk - Meet the AGM gang!
http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~loonybin - 08/01/04 and the site is back!
http://www.lazarus.org.uk - Look no further for your full set.
http://www.clrmame.com - Does exactly what it says on the tin.
Join #tombstones on irc.foreverchat.net, ports 6660-6669,7000.
SINNER
2004-04-06 16:45:54 UTC
While strolling through alt.games.mame, Loonybin was overheard
Post by SINNER
Try opening the file with Isobuster and extracting it. I dont
know that there is any way to 'convert' them.
Is that something we need to do at present then anyway? I'm
guessing (and it's a big guess) that CD image support will be
added when the time comes into CHDMAN to do this..?
You got me dude. I have never seen stuff (Other then CD/s) posted in
BIN format. At least not in the emulator groups ;)
David
MaddMaxx2000
2004-04-06 19:12:28 UTC
Look like CHDMAN already support that.

chdman -createcd input.toc output.chd

C:\mame32>chdman

chdman - MAME Compressed Hunks of Data (CHD) manager 0.81 (Apr 1 2004)
usage: chdman -info input.chd
or: chdman -createhd inputhd.raw output.chd [inputoffs [cylinders heads
sectors
[sectorsize [hunksize]]]]

or: chdman -createblankhd output.chd cylinders heads sectors [sectorsize
[hunksize]]
or: chdman -createcd input.toc output.chd
or: chdman -copydata input.chd output.chd
or: chdman -extract input.chd output.raw
or: chdman -verify input.chd
or: chdman -verifyfix input.chd
or: chdman -update input.chd output.chd
or: chdman -chomp inout.chd output.chd maxhunk
or: chdman -merge parent.chd diff.chd output.chd
or: chdman -diff parent.chd compare.chd diff.chd
or: chdman -setchs inout.chd cylinders heads sectors

C:\mame32>
Petr1fied
2004-04-06 19:05:10 UTC
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:47:04 GMT, "MaddMaxx2000"
Post by MaddMaxx2000
What's the correct method to covert CD images (.BIN) files to .CHD files
using CHDMAN.
Several CD images for 81u3 were posted in a.b.e.m. and I'm not clear
on how to covert these.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thx
MaddMaxx2000
chd-cd in chdman is apparently busted at the moment according to R.
Belmont http://tinyurl.com/yswc8 but you need to convert the image to
a CDDAO image (.toc/.dat) to create a chd from it.

You can burn the images to a CD and then use burnatonce
http://www.burnatonce.com to create a CDDAO image, but I'm sure I read
somewhere (can't remember where) that any chd created this way would
not get consistant MD5/SHA1 results due to different CD Drives/Media
Types.

So even if you created a chd this way it would likely not match the
MD5/SHA1 that is added to the mame source code if they choose to
convert the images to chd's at a later date.

Petr1fied
Tim Morrow
2004-04-06 22:15:05 UTC
Post by MaddMaxx2000
What's the correct method to covert CD images (.BIN) files to .CHD files
using CHDMAN.
Several CD images for 81u3 were posted in a.b.e.m. and I'm not clear
on how to covert these.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thx
MaddMaxx2000
Grab a copy of Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools, virtual mount the cd's (iso's)
and rip the data over to your clrmamepro rebuild folder. If you downloaded
the cps3 iso's when they came out over a year ago then doing this will save
you 600MB+ of redownload.

Cheers,
Tim